Monday, January 23, 2012

WHEN YOU NEED A FRIEND...

January 23, 2012
The Lichi Report
WHEN YOU NEED A FRIEND...
Dear Friends,
Greetings in the Name that is above every other Name; The Lord Jesus Christ!

In the last report I mentioned the need for prayer for some answers related to the cost of a much needed chemo-medication to be used in conjunction with my current chemo-therapy regimen. The Revlimid costs $8,000 for 28 days of treatment. At any rate, my MD and assistants have been working diligently with the manufacturer and my insurance company. So far there doesn't seem to be a resolution.  However, we still have until Tuesday before having to start all over with new paperwork, etc.  So, I'm anxious to see what God has in mind. One way or the other, it will be good. Seriously...we serve a wonderful and powerful God...this really isn't that big of a deal for Him is it??

I also found out this week that I do quality for some Veteran's Administration (VA) medical benefits as I am a Vietnam-era veteran (1970-77) in the US Air Force. (No, I wasn't in Vietnam proper but the work I did was in support of the effort while stationed in communications intelligence in Italy and Alaska). I'll keep you informed as to what this means in terms of overall treatment for the cancer.

HOW'S THE PAIN?
Overall a much better week. (Do you really believe in the God of your prayers??? I hope so!) I was able to see a full schedule last week at EMERGE. With a "little help from my friends," I attended a visionary staff meeting on Friday and participated in planning a new outreach from EMERGE called "Marriage Tune-Ups."  It was great to be with the rest of the EMERGE team! 

DO YOU NEED A FRIEND?
I'm reminded of the fact that God never leaves us orphans, alone or abandoned. You may be going through  one of those painful times when it appears so however. I beg you to reconsider. If all else fails...make a phone call; beg, plead, call your pastor, contact a friend....just don't go through your trial alone! And don't give up on the Body of Christ! Let your need be known!

As Dietrich Bonhoeffer notes in, "Life Together," "I have found that the simple physical presence of other Christians is a source of incomparable joy and strength" (Bonhoeffer ibid p 19).   While I feel I've been blessed beyond measure with a loving and committed wife and a number of close, closer, and closest friends; occasionally I have felt the utter helpless dependence of crying out for "someone to just BE HERE" for me. Examples? I haven't had to be helped walking since I was a child...well here I am!  Haven't had to have help eating..well here I am! Bathing? Shaving? Driving? (What's that?...Hasn't happened since November!)...YES...I HAVE NEEDED MY WIFE AND FRIENDS IN WAYS I NEVER DREAMED!
Since my cancer diagnosis in November, I've learned it's ok to ask friends to just come and sit with me; sing with me, pray with me... "Don't feel as though you have to say anything profound, witty, healing.....or anything...I just want YOUR PRESENCE!" And my has God provided! Thank you all so much!!

I recently said to my mom who was helping me at our home..."Just hearing the clattering of pots and pans in the kitchen is a comfort to me."  It means someone cares for me.

Bonhoeffer reminded me that Paul, in the midst of his cold, lonely imprisonment longingly calls his dearly beloved son in the faith, Timothy, to come to him in prison in the last days of his life. He would see him again and have him near (2 Timothy 1:4).

Here is the weekly update from our end. 
·       Completed third round of chemo-therapy this week. Before giving the medicine this week the nurse asked, "Are you ready to pray together before getting the medicine?" (Of course!) She had observed my praying each time the chemo was injected
·       Qualified for some VA medical benefits...will let you know what this means soon
·       Waiting for final word on payment for the Revlimid
·       Thankful for all of the rides to and from work this week from family and friends
·       Scheduled Monday for Labs, Wednesday for two MRI's on spine and waist (has the cancer spread? Why still the pain in the sciatic nerve area?) and on Friday I meet with  a neurologist.

Final Comment
I had the sad privilege of sitting with a client this past week who recently went through several terrible losses ....and didn't appear to have the support of  family, church or friends. How tragic.  I urge you to be on the look-out for a "God Moment" in your life this week; to be a practical extension of the heart and hand of Jesus Christ to one who needs your presence.

 There is no shame in yearning for the physical presence of a friend. Remember, we are body persons. God came to us in a body. We relate to one another as body persons. If you (or someone you know) is feeling lonely, rejected, left out, left behind, broken, discarded....perhaps you will be the one God uses to be in their presence...be open to it.

Much love to you dear friends and family!

Don and Marcie

PS The following two items meant a great deal to me this past week. Hope you will enjoy as well!
http://www.lifebetweenthebuns.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-year-brings-new-perspective.html
Servantsong.m4v  (YouTube).


3 comments:

  1. This, sir, is an awesome and robustly amen-able post. -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are getting better all the time! Now I have to show you how to make a link.
    Seriously, as we talked on the phone tonight, when you are on the other side of this you won't miss the pain & suffering but you will long for the unique intimacy with God and His people what only seems to come by way of suffering. No wonder Jesus has invited us to share in His. Thank you for the reminder to look for opportunities to share the present of presence. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don --
    Check your aol email. I sent you a chemo funding option for you to review!
    Lynne Hamill

    ReplyDelete