Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas!

The Lichi Report
Update as of Saturday December 24, 2011
Dear Friends,
First and foremost...thank you. Thank you for your love, your prayers, your dinners, gifts, support and numerous other ways in which you have expressed the love of Jesus to Marcie and me since we got the word in November that I have Multiple Myeloma.

For those who want the quick story just read the following bullets: For more details see my sister's blog "Life Between the Buns"

Bullets:
<!--Diagnosed with MM on November 8th
<!- MM went after my L5 (lumbar) causing stress fracture pushing on my sciatic nerve root
<!--PAIN PAIN PAIN!!!
<!--Did I mention Pain?  Yes indeed!
<!--Two hospitalizations; lots of pokes, pulls, blood tests and finally... home for Thanksgiving.
<!--Began radiation and chemotherapy (Velcade) in November. Treatments to deal with pain were not effective so we decided to do a Kyphoplasty procedure on Dec 14. The surgery was successful in that a balloon was inflated to reposition the L5 and cement it. Still have some pain especially in the mornings and believe it to be related to the fact that the sciatic nerve was so traumatized for so long...it is just going to take time to heal.
<!--Started second round of chemo therapy this week. Two weeks on and one week off.
<!--Scheduled to meet with MD from University Hospital on January 4, 2012 to determine next steps.
<!--Trying to get cancer into remission and eventually I'll be in isolation at UH for 3-6 weeks as they take out the old and put in the new...bone marrow that is.
<!--I suspect I'll be known as the new "bubble boy"
<!--Loving having the grandkids around for the holidays...makes me so thankful for life and the joy of laughter, childlike faith and just plain fun!
<!--I have had so much time to reflect on the goodness of God expressed through the Body of Christ.
<!--Frankly...totally overwhelmed! Can't even begin to say thank you enough. Just know that I am SO APPRECIATIVE FOR EACH AND EVERY PRAYER, MEAL, GIFT, ACT OF KINDNESS AND JUST PLAIN LOVE!

Will work harder to keep you updated!
Have a blessed Christmas in our Lord.

Love,
Don

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you and Marcie in blogland! I've met many new friends through this amazing media! In spite of the shock of this diagnosis and heartache of seeing you in so much pain, I totally agree that God has blessed us all so much with His goodness expressed through the the Body of Christ! The strength that is gained through "the tie that binds" has come to us over and over and over again. Personally I have gone from heartache to hope as others have reached out to you and to all of us...Love truly does cover ALL. God's blessings have come into sharper focus and faith becomes more real and precious as we wait on the Lord. The gifts of family and friends are blessings we often take for granted until we find ourselves in the valley. Don your unwavering witness to the goodness of God has blessed and encouraged me more than you'll ever know. And I believe we are seeing miracles in progress! I'm honored to walk this journey with you...love you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all rooting for you, Don.
    -Chad

    ReplyDelete