Friday, December 30, 2011

ON THE CUSP OF A NEW YEAR...


December 30, 2011
The Lichi Report

Dear Friends,
Thanks for standing with us in prayer and supplication to our Lord Jesus Christ for complete healing from both acute pain and, especially the Multiple Myeloma Cancer.

Here is the weekly update from our end. 
I have now completed my second round of Chemo-therapy as of today. Thus far I have had no negative side effects with the exception that I feel quite tired and exhausted most of the rest of the day following treatment.

The sciatic pain is like an unwelcome rollercoaster ride at Cedar Point in the middle of the winter! For example on Tuesday (Dec 27) I had my best day in over 7 weeks. Relatively pain free; chemo therapy, breakfast with Marcie at Bob Evans, trip to the library and four trips walking up and down the drive. Yippee! I thought....how great is this! "I'M PAIN FREE!" And it was for the day...even a trip over to my sister's in the evening to see my nephew and niece who were in town.

Then Wednesday and Thursday arrived with fairly intense pain. So to all of you advice givers...I'm doing everything you say...work it out...stretch...take it easy...don't push it....push it to the limits...rest more...rest less...get up...get down....  See? I'm a good patient!

I'm reminded of the passage of scripture in 1 Corinthians 12:26, "If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad."  This is true for the pain we suffer in our physical bodies, but more importantly don't forget this is also true for those in the Body of Christ who are in any kind of pain at all. There are many amongst us who suffer from loneliness, depression, anxiety, fear, trauma, etc. and simply need someone in the Body of Christ to feel their pain.  I know that I'm going to get better and with the strength of God and support of love ones like you I know that God will provide!

NEXT STEPS
Next Wednesday, Marcie and I meet with Dr. Lazarus at University Hospital to chart out the steps for the next phase of cancer treatment. If it looks as though the isolation and donor match/marrow transplant is a few months off, my goal would be to return to work as soon as possible at least during the days to see clients who I miss very much!  If the "bubble boy" treatment is sooner than later, I'll wait to return to work when the treatment is completed.

In the meantime, I'll be working on an exciting project with the EMERGE clinical team to write a book for pastors on the topic of Christian Counseling. We have over 40 topics to cover and the book will be translated into several languages and used widely to assist pastors in this important sphere of ministry. Please pray for the selection of those who will write various chapters and that the Holy Spirit will superintend the entire project!

God's best till next time,
Don

3 comments:

  1. So sorry you had a couple rough days after that fantastic day on Tuesday. You didn't listen when I told you not to slide down the banister, did you?? Praying for a restful weekend for you and anxious to see what they will say next Wednesday. And praying for much healing and progress in the new year! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Don,

    My wife Chelsea and I are praying for you. I am inspired by your courage and hope in the face of this difficulty. I pray God's blessing and strength for you and the clinical team as you work on your new project writing a book on Christian Counseling.

    Your nephew,

    Joe F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don & Marcie, we are praying for both of you and your family. I know that at this time more than any other God will let you know His presence in many ways. He is the One who is in control and He knows what is best. I pray that you will know His comfort and His peace.

    ReplyDelete